Thursday, November 17, 2011

Bull Runner

This is my first time in Spain.


                                                 My parents got divorced back in February and now, in April, me and my mom are moving to Madrid, Spain. As a 14 year old outcast in prison, (oops I meant school) I was glad to be moving somewhere far away from that discriminating place. Seaside, Oregon was never that great either. It had all of these daily festivals and all of the popular kids at school hang out at the local mall, the candy shops and  the beach after school. That place is crawling with happiness!

                                                                                                                                       Me and my mom put our luggage in the trunk of a taxi and sat in silence the entire way to the airport. My mother can be pretty self-centered. She always talks about how great her cooking is, (which is totally false) how great her singing and dancing is (her singing explodes my eardrums and the last time she was ‘dancing’, I got a black eye and a swollen, black bump on my shin) and how great her love life is. (YOU GOT DIVORCED MOM!) She hardly ever asks how my days went which were, of course, terrible. I honestly have depression and no matter how much I beg, she never took me to a therapist because she thought I didn’t need it, so I always talk to my counselor, Ms. Carrey, whenever I feel down.

                                                                                                              As soon as we stopped in front of the entrance of the airport, my mom jumped out of the taxi and grabbed our stuff. I got out as slowly as I possibly could just to tick her off but mom grabbed my arm and we bolted into the building. That’s another thing about my mom: she has OCD whenever it comes to time. Even though we’re always early, to her it feels like the world’s about to explode if she doesn’t hurry. She freaks out even more when she’s with another person.

                                 You know what I hate whenever I have to go through airport security? Not only do they want all electronics and metals through the X-ray, they also want you to take off your shoes and sometimes they have to feel you just in case you’re hiding anything. It’s so disturbing and violating! It feels like you have to strip completely just so they can do some ‘inspections’. It’s like they’re ‘security guards’ for ‘logical’ reasons.

                                                                                                                                           Right after the most awkward moment of life, I quickly grabbed my stuff and ran up to my mom whom was sprinting. I slipped my shoes on as I ran and I put my phone back in my pocket. I caught up with my mom and we were sprinting down the halls to find our gate. It was gate 1H, a flight to New York which was connected to the main flight to Madrid.

                                    Even though we were almost an hour early, our plane got there at least five minutes after we arrived. As I sat down in my seat, I sort of panicked a little. I have a little phobia of heights, but I was getting used to it by swinging on a swing everyday after school and on the weekends. But this is not a playground swing. This is an airplane sending me thousands of feet high into the air to New York and Madrid, which was even scarier since the Madrid plane was going overseas. God this was going to suck.

                                          During the New York flight, a family sitting right behind me keeps on yapping through the whole flight. Thanks to them, I learned new ways on how to shave your beard. I lost count at number 8: If you have terrible sideburns, gently use a potato peeler. Great. I totally didn’t need to throw up at that instant.

                                                                                                             The  Madrid flight wasn’t as good but the annoyingly disgusting family wasn’t planning on flying to Spain thank god. It wasn’t as thrilling because of my height phobia, the flight attendants spoke Spanish so I couldn’t understand a word they said and once they finally gave me what I wanted which was fancy Spain water, it tasted like a donkey took a huge dump on a hobo and a pregnant cat decided to have her litter on it. I ran to the bathroom and threw away the water and I threw up in the toilet. Poor toilet. I wonder if it could come to life and shout “NO MORE! I CAN’T TAKE IT ANYMORE!” ran out of the bathroom, opened the emergency door and jumped out, saying sayonara to life.

                                                                                                 After 15+ dreadful hours of flying, the plane finally made it to the airport in Madrid. Finding my luggage was surprisingly quite easy for me and mom since mom can speak and read Spanish. (WITHOUT TELLING ME!) Finding a taxi wasn’t really hard either. They were all white cars with one red diagonal stripe across the car. And besides, they were all over the place so it wasn’t hard to get an untaken one either.

                                                                                   Me and mom crammed our luggage into the trunk of our taxi from the airport driveway and got in. Mom told the driver in Spanish where we needed to go. The driver nodded and slowly pulled out of the driveway. Me and mom sat in silence once more, waiting for the first person to speak. I didn’t talk at all and stared out of my window.

                                                                           After the first ten minutes of driving, our taxi got caught in traffic with tons of honking and people yelling in Spanish, then distant blood curdling screams, crying and objects sounds of metal getting crushed and smashed a second later. I rolled down my window and stuck my head out to see what’s going on. Out of the blue, a huge bull came running down the street and jumped on one of the cars ahead. It kept on jumping from car to car, crushing innocent bodies, getting closer and closer to ours. I heard my mom scream and saw her and the driver escape the taxi, leaving me alone.

                             What I remember next was my body being crushed and seeing a bright light flash before my eyes.

1 comment:

  1. I love this story Megan! You're a good writer and you have a good sense of humor! Keep up the good work:)

    ReplyDelete